Saturday, January 13, 2007

Extra Large Nipples

There'e no delicate way to put that...



So I got my wheel built thanks to Shawn's suggestion to get the longer nipples. It was still a challenge. Here's why:

If I built one side first completely there were two problems, 1) threading the spokes down from the other side was a PITA becasue the 36 spokes on the other side almost made it impossible to get them down and seated and swiveled into position, and 2) having one side fully built pulled that side so far to the center that the other flange was too far for the spokes to reach. even with the long nipples.

So I took it all apart and threaded the leading spokes on one side and the trailing spokes on the other. then one trailing on the first side, then two leading on the other side, then two on the first side, and so on until it was done. As it stands now all the spokes are threaded on so that the end of each spoke is prettymuch right at the inside face of the rim 3 cross.

I also dropped spokes first so I wouldn't have to bend them all crazy to get them through again. I'm super stoked I got this to work! I even have the valve hole spokes right too.

sweetness. Can't wait to build another set! If I can get this trued maybe I'll test it on another SS canyon ride tomorrow?

-M

4 comments:

Japhy rider said...

now that's a personal victory! misadventures in wheelbuilding fo sho, but what's up with that hub? looks like it'll take a bunch of spacers.

steve garro said...

cool! i can lace/tension a wheel from scratch in about 30min. after doing 1000's in the last 20+ years. a worthy buy is the book "the bicycle wheel" by jobst brandt. he was an engineer for porsche and it covers every aspect of bicycle wheel building and theory including why wheels hold up and why they fail. 150 pages, lots of hand-drawn pics. highly reccomended. probally cheap on amazon. rock on! steve.

Mike said...

I did this set, front and back. Without the book (Iused the Btrant book last time). I had Smella lace the front and she did it perfectly in a flash!

next set is going to be Surly New Disc Jim Brown's and Salsa delgado cross. Smella just has to pick colors, and a bike...

-M

Nany said...

Hey very interesting and professional post about Extra Large Nipples I have problems with my nipples I have inverted nipple do you know something about it??? is this a disease?