Wednesday, January 31, 2007

AZ RoadTrippin'!!!

After meeting El Garro I can understand why Fed Ex would be reluctant to insure his packages against damage. Steve’s opening technique is to bludgeon the box with his knuckles until it submits. Chris King has to wrap his headsets in bags of coffee beans to protect them from his awesome power.




Here he is truing some wheels. I observed closely. Here’s his process: lace, true, dish, tension; true, dish, tension... He uses the Spokekey with four sided contact, and tensions right with right hand, left with left hand; checks tension by squeezing four spokes at once. No tensiometer. He said you want the crosses hard to separate (with his hand strength that means a lot hard to separate). (correct me on any of this)





After a while Dr. Shredmor wandered out of the woods where he hibernates for various interminable lengths and proceeded to prepare us some killer tacos made out of a strange other-worldly carnage that tasted vaguely like chicken can't recall what exactly he called it. It was delish. Dogs were walloped, cats were tortured with a makeshift riding crop, pictures were viewed. Thanks Steve, and Dr. Shredmor! Sorry we didn't get to meet Denise. Hopefully you have to stop by on your way to/from the handmade bike show.Would have posted a photo of Dr. S, but they all had this freaky lens flare in them…





Saturday we rolled down to Sedona to investigate the alleged “shredding” there. Reports are completely accurate! Perfect dirt, rolling trails, tough rock ledges, and tiny bits of mud. We rode the Bell Rock path to the Little Horse Trail, to The Llama trail back to Bell Rock. It was perfect.



Camped near the Desert museum that night near Tucson. I was going to get up at the butt crack and ride up Tucson MTN, but about 12:00 AM I woke up from a dream… WITH AMAZING STOMACHE CRAMPS. Started walking the ¼ mile to the toilet. About half way I started wondering if I’d make it. Couldn’t walk faster due to the pressure. Stopping and doubling over didn’t help. The light on the side of the outhouse seemed to me moving farther away, but it was just my vision getting blury and vague. I made it. It wasn’t pretty. I made Smella drive me the next time. By the 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th trips I was able to drive myself.



But I’m ok now.



When I got back to RTO my bike was right where I’d left it, with enough air in the tires to get me home.





-M

2 comments:

Japhy rider said...

is that a mutant claw pinching a taco?

why is Danielle grimmacing?

only a lunatic would steal a fixed gear bike. did you even lock it up?

Mike said...

Shredmor mutates every hour on the hour.

I said something that displeased her

Thieves are dumber than snomobilers.

-M